When it comes to international exhibiting, it can be a little scary. Should I shake their hands, bow, or a kiss on the cheek? Should I wear pants or a skirt? Depending on the country you are planning to exhibit in, one preference may be a no-no in one country while acceptable in another. Thanks to Exhibitor Magazine, a few tips from Terri Morrison s book "Kiss, Bow, or Shake Hands, are listed on how to impress without offending the attendees.
- Mexico City Women typically wear short skirts and high heels. It is common to hug and kiss a business colleague.
- Dubai Keeping it casual at these exhibits is the norm. You set up your own trade show booth since there are no labor unions.
- Shanghai No clock-themed giveaways should be used since clocks are associated with death. All booth staffers should present business cards with two hands.
- Dusseldorf Punctuality is extremely important and it is considered insulting if you arrive even one minute late. Tape up your pockets to keep your hands out of them because the locals will think of this as a lack of respect.
- Tokyo Business cards should be exchanged with everyone you meet. Also, there should be no writing on the backs of these cards.
- Paris Tattoos and body piercings should be covered. Since this is the fashion capital of the world, dress in business clothing that will reflect that.
There are so many advantages to international exhibiting. You can broaden your customer base and grow your business, network with international businessmen (or women), and have a better understanding of the cultures and regulations of the different countries. However, the last thing you want to do is offend the local residents by being unaware of what is acceptable and what is frowned upon.
Do your research and take into consideration the different exhibit regulations for the different countries. Of course, having an effective trade show display will also make you a hit at the event. Smash Hit Displays will help you design a convention display that matches your style. Our design team can also create effective, stunning trade show graphics for you. Give us a call today!