Posted in Trade Show MarketingIt is vitally important to include trade show giveaway items in your trade show budget. While your trade show display might make a good impression at the show, where is the guarantee that people will think of your company after the show is over? One of the surest ways to retain attention is to do giveaways at the show…but not just any giveaway. Be careful to think out your giveaway strategy. Giveaways put something tangible into many hands and can drum up future business nearly as effectively as word of mouth.
In short, you want to pick items that will last long after the show and items that will be passed along, or noticed by more people as time goes by. Of course a good company will adjust their giveaways to suit the target audience and their corporate goals, but in general there are some promotional products that are always a good idea for your trade show display. The best guideline is to give away items that are functional and yet enjoy a lasting value.
Here are 4 “trusted” items that make great giveaways:
- Coffee mugs – will be something that people hang on to, as opposed to being thrown away immediately. Very often a logo mug – with contact info – will be taken to the workplace and used daily, being perpetually seen by others. Sooner or later, a prospect or two will be born from that giveaway mug.
- Engraved pens – are yet another giveaway that will not likely be thrown away, especially if the pen is decent quality. And once again, engraved pens are often taken to the workplace and circulated over time, nurturing prospective sales.
- Calendars – are always an effective way to keep your company name in the forefront of people’s minds on a nearly daily basis. Calendars will not only bring in future sales, but will also strongly reinforce branding.
- Embossed lanyards – are always a good giveaway due to their long lasting presence and continual use. What a great way to advertise: hanging around the necks of people!
So what about promotional products that do not necessarily work? As a general rule, you might want to avoid items that have no useful function and no lasting value.
Here are 4 items that might be a good idea to avoid as giveaways.
- Wrapped candy & mints – are consumed and the logo wrapper is tossed…end of promotional value!
- Anything scented – tend to lose their scent over time, and nearly always smell horrible in short time. And scents are extremely hard to popularize because scents are as individual as people; one person’s likes are not necessarily the likes of the next person.
- Stickers – almost always end up in the hands of children or in the trash. Stickers have typically no lasting promotional value.
- Rubber ducky and rubber chickens – can be funny in the short run, but end up as dust-catchers, and then in someone’s yard sale. I personally like these giveaways – because I’m a child at heart – but most people will not torment people with them for long.
Once again, a good promotional giveaway strategy for your trade show display should be customized to the target audience, but there are those items that are trusted because they work. Pick items that have a longer life span and serve some useful function.